Friday, June 28, 2013

Life Lessons from the Sea #6: Teamwork Pays, so says the Shark




There is evidence of teamwork throughout the sea. 

Sailors work together to cross vast waters, some piloting, others raising sails or sometimes rowing, others cooking or cleaning. There is always work to be done and many hands to do it, so all benefit.

 Schooling fish swirl through the ocean, sometimes in small groups, other times in massive tornado-like funnels. Their large numbers and coordinated movements help them evade predators.

Sometimes teamwork can be difficult or even dangerous, as with the banded coral shrimp that clean sharks’ gills and teeth. Sharks remain quite still for such services, nevertheless there must be some inherent risk to swimming in and out of a shark's mouth. If all goes well, the shrimp leaves with a full belly and the shark with gleaming, comfortable teeth.

Teamwork among humans can also be difficult, but ultimately more productive and rewarding than working on our own. I’ve found this in my efforts with writing. The time I spend with other writers at workshops and conferences is extremely valuable. Not only do I learn, but I receive encouragement and experience camaraderie. Other writers' insights into my work are priceless. Writing can be a very solitary, isolating endeavor. But the support I receive from my family and friends keeps me motivated. I can’t tell you how often, when I’m in the middle of a creative slump, someone asks about my writing. It’s a simple question (not always simple to answer), but it’s one that reminds me—people are rooting for me, hoping I will succeed. 


How has teamwork helped in your life? What projects have you completed or goals have you attained with the assistance of a great group of friends, family or co-workers?

11 comments:

  1. I have a corporate job and most of of my job involves teamwork - teamwork between the various people in my department, first. Second, teamwork between my department and many others in the company. The particular job my department does requires us to interact with most of the departments in our company. Balancing their needs with what we are charged with doing can be a big challenge, but it can also be very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think balance is the key in many aspects of life. The challenge, too! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. HI there! Levi and I will be in Okie the 25th-30th in July. On the 29th I am trying to get some families together to go to Little Blue during the day. Want to come???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try my best, but we get back from out of town on the 28th. Just text me the details and we'll try to meet up. Can't wait to see you!

      Delete
    2. Oh fun, a family trip? If you can't come, I completely understand. Sometimes getting home after a trip, well, its just nice to be home....you know?

      Delete
  3. I used to work in corporate america and teamwork was vital to getting the job done! Without the team working together we could not always meet our goals! There are times when I miss that environment and time when I don't! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that environment would be something you'd sometimes miss. It's a wonderful feeling to work hard with a group of people and attain your objectives together. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. I shared this on my Google + account.

    If not for the continued support of my partner in regards to my online writing, I wouldn't still be doing it! It's a Godsend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing my post. It's great to hear that you have support for your writing, too!

      Delete
  5. On reason I have started to leave comments on other peoples blogs is exactly the reason you outlined in this article. It can be lonely writing, publishing blogs and then wondering if anyone out there read it or got benefits! Keep up the writing!

    I have had a challenge with teamwork. It took me along time to realize that other people really wanted to help and it was ok to accept that help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand that. Sometimes I am so independent that I'd rather just do something myself than go through the hassle of collaborating. I've missed out on the synergistic effect of minds working together this way. Thanks for your comments and your support!

      Delete