Friday, November 15, 2013

Nanowrimo strikes again!



Okay, I wanna know who decided to set Nanowrimo in the month of Thanksgiving! When we’re supposed to be preparing our homes and our kitchens and our tables and our psycho children for an influx of loving relatives. (Did I say psycho children? What I really meant was psycho selves—note the plural. We’re getting a little loony over here). What about the lead-up to Christmas? How can I possibly complete shopping prior to the holidays if my fingers are cramped from writing so gosh awful many words?

I swear I am never, ever, ever doing Nanowrimo again. 

Well. Not unless my writing has bogged down, my confidence has failed me and I need a massive kick in the pants to pick up a pen or a crayon or a keyboard, whatever, to get creating again. Oh, I’m inventive enough to worm out of facing that computer screen or ratty old notebook, but what I really need is tale-telling, story-spinning, and if it’s gotta be through a tortuous Novemeber marathon that leaves me scratching words into my bedside table at midnight instead of watching the stars and listening to the wind whispering through the flaming leaves, so be it.

Wait. Did I just talk myself into Nanowrimo? Ah well…I just wish it were during another month. Like January. When we’re all recovering from the holidays and have nothing to do but set outrageous, unreachable goals and then kill ourselves trying to meet them.

That’s kind of how I am, anyway. I work best under pressure and under some crazy plan that requires I sacrifice my sanity. When will I learn to take life a step at a time, a bite at time, instead of trying to choke down the whole enchilada, or alternatively, spew a whole new world of characters and scheming across my digital canvas in a short thirty days, less really when you consider that I can’t possibly write from Nov 25 on.

On the bright side, I am now at 33,000 words, many of which are actually in the right order. My main character has developed into a powerful, determined girl who just might triumph over her embittered past, with the help of her feisty cat, Cinder, her sister-cousin Glory, and a handful of moonlight at just the right time.

 What project is ruling your life right now and how are you surviving it?

No comments:

Post a Comment