Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Serenity Unsought




Saturday my kids asked to play in the pond behind our home. We hurried through our chores then packed everything I needed for a pleasant afternoon of writing. When we reached the pond, it lay glistening in the sun, its surface dancing with the wind. Suddenly, my day’s work seemed a lot less pressing, certainly less important than an afternoon with my children.

I set aside my bags, flipped over a canoe and dragged it into the water. The kids waded in, shrieking over the autumn chill that had already swept through our little valley. A warm breeze rustled the trees, an echo of the scorching summer and a promise of joys to come.

Peace finds me at such unexpected times, arising from a pool of lively children. Or descending from a fleecy sky when I pause in the hike back home. Halfway up the hill I turn, both to catch my breath and to see where I’ve been. Peace finds me again.

Sometimes I forget to seek serenity in the whirlwind that is my life. Saturday it arrived unsought, a gift that breathes life back into my soul. Where do you turn for peace? When was the last time you went looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment