Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sticky Situation



One of the joys of country living is the spiders. Okay, I’m being a bit sarcastic. Usually I spend my time tossing them back outside and sweeping their webs off my house. It’s not my favorite chore, and I must confess that the spiders generally win, spinning webs over my home faster than I can wipe them down. 

Unfortunately, the webs catch dirt as well as bugs. My house is white. You can imagine the effect. (What were the builders thinking? White house on a green hill?  It’s pretty until the creepy crawlies come.)

But then a misty morning arrives and I see those sticky webs in a new light. Dewdrops cling to the threads, revealing not only a spidery home, but a masterpiece. They span my back deck and quiver between fence wires. I smile, pondering the merits of creatures who spin such splendor while keeping other pests at bay.

What wisdom or enjoyment have you gained from a sticky situation?

1 comment: